1700
1701
1702
1703
1704
1705
1706
1707
1708
1709
1710
1711
1712
1713
1714
1715
1716
1717
1718
1719
1720
1721
1722
1723
1724
1725
1726
1727
1728
1729
1730
1731
1732
1733
1734
1735
1736
1737
1738
1739
1740
1741
1742
1743
1744
1745
1746
1747
1748
1749
1750
1751
1752
1753
1754
1755
1756
1757
1758
1759
1760
1761
1762
1763
1764
1765
1766
1767
1768
1769
1770
1771
1772
1773
1774
1775
1776
1777
1778
1779
1780
1781
1782
1783
1784
1785
1786
1787
1788
1789
1790
1791
1792
1793
1794
1795
1796
1797
1798
1799
1800
1801
1802
1803
1804
1805
1806
1807
1808
1809
1810
1811
1812
1813
1814
1815
1816
1817
1818
1819
1820
1821
1822
1823
1824
1825
1826
1827
1828
1829
1830
1831
1832
1833
1834
1835
1836
1837
1838
1839
1840
1841
1842
1843
1844
1845
1846
1847
1848
1849
1850
1851
1852
1853
1854
1855
1856
1857
1858
1859
1860
1861
1862
1863
1864
1865
1866
1867
1868
1869
1870
1871
1872
1873
1874
1875
1876
1877
1878
1879
1880
1881
1882
1883
1884
1885
1886
1887
1888
1889
1890
1891
1892
1893
1894
1895
1896
1897
1898
1899
1900
1901
1902
1903
1904
1905
1906
1907
1908
1909
1910
1911
1912
1913
1914
1915
1916
1917
1918
1919
1920
1921
1922
1923
1924
1925
1926
1927
1928
1929
1930
1931
1932
1933
1934
1935
1936
1937
1938
1939
1940
1941
1942
1943
1944
1945
1946
1947
1948
1949
1950
1951
1952
1953
1954
1955
1956
1957
1958
1959
1960
1961
1962
1963
1964
1965
1966
1967
1968
1969
1970
1971
1972
1973
1974
1975
1976
1977
1978
1979
1980
1981
1982
1983
1984
1985
1986
1987
1988
1989
1990
1991
1992
1993
1994
1995
1996
1997
1998
1999
2000
2001
2002
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
2010
2011
2012
2013
2014
2015
2016
2017
2018
2019
2020
2022
Wesley Foundation Time Line
Jun 28 1703 - Mar
02 1791
John Wesley born to
Susanna and Samuel
Wesley in Epworth,
Lincolnshire, England,
their 15th child
1713
John Wesley was
admitted to the
Charterhouse School,
London, where he lived
the studious, methodical,
and (for a while) religious
life in which he had been
trained at home
1720 - 1725
Wesley attended Christ
Church College, Oxford
University
1724
Wesley received his
B.A.
1725 - 1729
John served with his
father at Epworth
1725
Wesley received his
M.A
1725
John Wesley was
ordained deacon
Sep 1725
John Wesley's
ordination as a deacon
by the hands of Bishop
Potter at Christ Church
Cathedral, Wesley's
college chapel
1726
John Wesley was
elected fellow of Lincoln
College, a constituent
college of Oxford
Sep 22 1728
Bishop Potter ordained
John Wesley as a priest
1729
John Wesley returned to
Oxford to fulfil his
function as Fellow
1729
The Holy Club was
formed by Charles
Wesley and led by his
brother John for the
purpose of study and
the pursuit of a devout
Christian Life
1735
John Wesley went at
the call of Governor
Oglethorpe to Georgia in
the new colonies. His
ministry was
unsuccessful
1738
John Wesley returned to
England
May 24 1738
John Wesley's heart-
warming experience at
the Aldersgate Street
meeting
Oct 30 1768
The first Methodist
church in America, built
on John Street in New
York City and called
Wesleyan Chapel
dedicated.
1769
Andrew Boggs built the
first home in Centre
County "on the left bank
of Bald Eagle creek
directly opposite to an
old Indian Village on the
flats near where
Milesburg is now
situated."
1771
John Wesley sent
preachers Richard
Wright and Francis
Asbury to America
1773
First Conference of the
Methodist preachers in
America. 10 attended.
These preachers would
not administer the
Sacraments since they
were laypersons. The
people were to receive
the Sacraments at the
local Anglican church.
1774
John Wesley was a
keen abolitionist and
published "Thoughts
Upon Slavery"
1784
John Wesley
consecrated Thomas
Coke as Superintendent
and sent him to America
along with Richard
Whatcoat and Thomas
Vasey, both of whom
Wesley had ordained.
This ordination is what
ultimately permitted
Methodism to become
an independent church
Dec 24 1784
Methodist Episcopal
Church formed at the
Christmas Conference,
Baltimore, MD
Dec 27 1784
Ordination of Francis
Asbury
Oct 1786
Aaronsburg was laid out
as the first town in
Centre County
Jul 1787
Philip and Susannah
Antes bought land in
Bald Eagle Valley and
erected a grist mill and
a saw mill. The first
Methodist class in
Centre County was held
at their home at the
present Curtin Village.
This was an extension
of Little York and
Juniata Valley circuits.
1788
Peter Gray came to Half
Moon Valley with his
extended family. His
home became a
meeting place for a
Methodist class.
1791
Center Furnace village
settled
Mar 02 1791
Because of his
charitable nature, John
Wesley died poor. It is
said he left behind him a
good library of books, a
well-worn clergyman's
gown and the Methodist
Church of 135,000
members and 541
itinerant preachers
1795
Bellefonte laid out
Feb 13 1800
Centre County formed
1810
The original Warrior's
Mark Methodist
Episcopal log church
was erected on
Benjamin Hyskell's land.
1814
Huntingdon Circuit
served as close to this
areas as Warrior's Mark,
Half Moon, and
Pennsylvania Furnace. It
covered just short of 300
miles. It was served by
James Reiley, great
grandfather of James M.
Reiley who served St.
Paul's 1909-1917
Apr 1817
Bellefonte's first
Methodist class met in
the home of James
McGee
Nov 1822
The first Methodist
Episcopal Church in
Bellefonte was
completed
1825
A log structure was
erected for the United
Brethren in Bellefonte at
the corner of Smith and
High streets
1831
A log church was built in
Philipsburg
1832
A Methodist Society
was organized in
Boalsburg
1837
Methodist church in
Spring Mills erected
1837
Stormstown church, on
Half Moon Circuit
erected
1840
Sprucetown Church
erected
1843
The first Methodist class
held at Fillmore
Jun 25 1848
Aaronsburg Methodist
Episcopal church
dedicated
1850
Martha Church
dedicated
Sep 12 1855
Agricultural College
founded, the beginnings
of Penn State University
1862
A Methodist class was
held on the campus at
the college
1883
Rock church erected
1887
The Centre Furnace
church, which would
have been across what
is now College Ave from
the furnace, was in need
of extensive repair.
Instead, the
congregation split into
two and built in State
College and Lemont
Feb 26 1888
St. Paul's Methodist
Episcopal Church first
building, at the corner of
Lemont Pike (now
College Ave.) and
McAllister St. was
dedicated, total cost $3,
500. State College was
part of a six church
circuit with Pine Grove
Mills, Meek's (Fairbrook),
Boalsburg, Lemont and
Pennsylvania Furnace.
The circuit was referred
to as the State College
Circuit.
1889
The Methodist
Episcopal Church in
Lemont is established
1890
A room for smaller
children's Sunday
school was built as
an addition for $800.
1893
The first parsonage was
built on the corner of
McAllister St. and
Beaver Ave for $2,000.
Jul 05 1910
St. Paul's Methodist
Episcopal Church of
State College was
incorporated
Mar 03 1912
Final dedication
ceremonies for the new
church building were
held. The building cost
$45,000. In addition, the
Estey water motor organ
cost $3,000
Oct 1912
The Brotherhood Class
was organized. It
continues today.
Dec 02 1912
The Modern Crusader's
Class was organized. It
was merged into the
Friendship Class which
continues today.
Oct 13 1913
First Wesley Foundation
established at the
University of Illinois. The
name was chosen to
honor John Wesley, the
first campus minister at
Oxford University
Jan 12 1914
Boy Scout Troop 31
started
1920
700 students gave
"Methodist" as their
church preference upon
registration at Penn
State. The Annual
Conference approved
funds for support of work
with students through
St. Paul's.
Aug 1920
Rev. Harry F. Babcock,
pastor of the Half Moon
charge accepted the
challenge to work with
the students and the
Wesley Foundation was
incorporated later that
year.
Oct 03 1922
The Wesley Foundation addition to the church (called
the Foundation Annex) was dedicated. This is currently
the gym/office/Asbury room portion
1924 - 1925
Charles C. Cole, Pastor,
Wesley Foundation
1925 - 1930
Edwin H. Witman,
Pastor, Wesley
Foundation
1930 - 1932
W. Emory Hartman,
Pastor, Wesley
Foundation
1932 - 1936
G. Cecil Weimer, Pastor,
Wesley Foundation
1936 - 1942
C. Gail Norris, Pastor,
Wesley Foundation
Sep 16 1940
The Woman's Society of
Christian Service was
formed as a merger of
several preexisting
groups as the result of
the merger of the
national church. This is
the predecessor of the
United Methodist
Women
1942 - 1947
Malcolm V. Mussina,
Pastor, Wesley
Foundation
Nov 14 1944
The property on the
corner of Miles St. (now
Locust Lane) and Calder
Alley was purchased by
Wesley Foundation.
Jul 01 1946
The property on the
corner of Miles St. (now
Locust Lane) and
College Ave. was
purchased by the
Wesley Foundation
1947 - 1949
Bruce E. Gideon, Pastor,
Wesley Foundation
1948
Penn State chapter of
Kappa Phi founded
Apr 01 1948
St. Paul's purchased the
Foundation Annex for
$30,000 and the Dr.
Robison house became
the temporary
Foundation building
Jan 01 1949
St. Paul's officially took
over planning and
scheduling Wesley
Foundation programs
1949 - 1952
Mrs. Dorothy Anderson,
Director, Wesley
Foundation at Penn
State
1952 - 1953
Miss Dorothy Blanchard,
Director, Wesley
Foundation at Penn
State
1952
Central Pennsylvania
Conference churches
initiated a campaign for
$175,000 toward the
total cost of $350,000
for a new Wesley
Foundation building.
1953 - 1955
Miss Eunice (Pat) Floyd,
Director, Wesley
Foundation at Penn
State
1955 - 1963
Richard Waller Nutt,
Pastor, Director, State
College Wesley
Foundation
1957
Wesley Foundation
building was dedicated
1959
The Religious Education
Building was
constructed on
McAllister St. between
Calder Alley and Beaver
Ave.
1962 - 1964
William Hunt Watson,
Pastor, Associate
Director State College
Wesley Foundation
1964 - 1968
Alan Cleeton, Pastor,
Director, Wesley
Foundation at Penn
State
1965 - 1975
Arthur Machir Saddoris,
Pastor, Director,
Wesley Foundation at
Penn State
1968
The Methodist Church
and the Evangelical
United Brethren
churched merged to
form the United
Methodist Church
1968 - 1977
Ned E. Weller, Pastor,
Wesley Foundation
1977 - 1982
Ned E. Weller, Campus
Minister, State College
United Campus
Ministries
1982 - 1983
Ned E. Weller, Campus
Minister, United Ministry
of Penn State
Jun 1985
Construction began to
renovate the church
building. The Centennial
Campaign raised $600,
000 for the project.
Dec 07 1986
Dedication of the
remodeled church
Nov 13 1987
The sanctuary/social room section of
the building was completely
destroyed by fire. The
gym/office/Asbury room section (old
Wesley Annex) received extensive
smoke and water damage.
Jan 24 1988
The congregation voted
to rebuild on the same
site. The church was
rebuilt within the old
walls in order to be able
to build to the property
line based on the
precedent set in 1910.
May 14 1989
The cornerstone for the
rebuilt church was
dedicated
Feb 11 1990
The rebuilt church was
dedicated with a
common entrance for
St. Paul's Church and
the Wesley Foundation
building.
1997 - 1999
Linda O. Eshelman,
Director, Wesley
Foundation
Jan 10 1999
By vote of congregation,
ownership of the Wesley
Foundation Building
transferred from Central
Pennsylvania Conference
to St. Paul's and
corporation name
changed to St. Paul's
United Methodist Church
and Wesley Foundation.
Jan 16 1999
Corporation constitution
and by-laws officially
changed for the new St.
Paul's United Methodist
Church and Wesley
Foundation
Jan 15 2001
Congregation voted to
proceed with plans to
conduct a financial
campaign and
develop drawings to
replace the Wesley
Foundation Building.
2002
Abba Java Coffee House
established
2004 - 2010
Tyson G. Ferguson,
Director, Wesley
Foundation
2010 - 2013
Karen B. Urbanski,
Director, Wesley
Foundation
Jan 27 2013
Started a year long
celebration of 125 years
of Sharing the Story and
Shaping the Future
2014 - 2019
Jen Gruendler, Director,
Wesley Foundation
2019
Sarah Voigt, Director,
Wesley Foundation
Sep 2020
100th Anniversary -
Founding of Wesley
Foundation at Penn
State